ABS-CBNnews.com | 12/07/2012 8:45 AM
MANILA, Philippines (2nd UPDATE) – The official death toll from typhoon "Pablo" (international codename, Bopha) is now at 456, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said on Friday.
The NDRRMC said the figure is expected to rise further with some 533 still missing.
At least 445 people were also reported injured.
More than 200 died in Compostela Valley, whose towns of New Bataan and Monkayo were heavily devastated by flashfloods and mudslides.
Meanwhile, at least 132 were reported dead in Davao Oriental, where the typhoon's eye first landed on Tuesday.
Most of the missing persons were reported in Compostela Valley, particularly in New Bataan, which remains covered in mud after rain water gushed down from the mountains.
Of the total number of fatalities, 110 in New Bataan remain unidentified; 27 in Boston, Davao Oriental; 21 in Compostela, Compostela Valley; 10 in Montevista, Compostela Valley; and 9 in Caraga, Davao Oriental.
The typhoon also affected at least 5.14 million people in 11,862 barangays, with over 306,000 taking shelter in evacuation centers.
'Pablo' too strong
Davao Oriental Governor Corazon Malanyaon said the immense strength of Pablo rendered their preparations useless.
"Talagang intensive ang aming orientation, dissemination [ng information] and all - even up to the last day, even up to the last moment… we re able to identify all the sites for evacuation," she told radio dzMM.
"Kahit ano pa palang preparasyon mo, marami pa rin things that are not within your control. Pablo was so strong for us," she added.
Compostela Valley Governor Arturo Uy, meanwhile, said he may have to ask President Benigno Aquino III for assistance in the province's rebuilding efforts.
Uy also appealed for more aid, particularly food, clean water, shelter and medical provisions.
The NDRRMC pegged the damaged from the typhoon at P4 billion.
So far, 26 municipalities and four provinces have declared a state of calamity.