MANILA -- Vice President Jejomar Binay asked the Supreme Court to relieve Quezon City Judge Jocelyn Reyes of her other cases so she can focus on the Maguindanao massacre case.
“It has been four years since the massacre. We owe it to the victims and their families to give them the speedy justice they deserve. As they say, justice delayed is justice denied,” Binay said in a statement.
Reyes started handling the case in December 2009 after a fellow judge, who was chosen via a raffle system, refused to try it for personal reasons.
A total of 194 have been charged for 58 counts of murder, including former Maguindanao Governor Andal Ampatuan Sr., but so far, not one has been convicted.
The fourth anniversary of the Maguindanao massacre was commemorated last Saturday.
“The sheer number of the persons involved reflects the enormity of the case. If we are to provide justice and closure to the affected families, then we will need a judge whose sole focus is on the case and in speeding up its resolution,” Binay said.