MANILA, Philippines – The Games and Amusements Board (GAB) has blocked a fight card in Mandaluyong which will feature two journeymen boxers in mismatches against former world champions.
According to Ronnie Nathanielsz’s Philboxing report, the card scheduled this Saturday pits former IBF light flyweight champion Florante “Little Pacquiao” Condes against southpaw Rey “Tiger” Morano and former WBC flyweight champion Sonny "Boy" Jaro against Pit Anacaya.
Condes is a veteran of 34 fights with a record of 25 wins, eight losses and one defeat, while Jaro sports a 34-13 record with 24 knockouts.
In contrast, their opponents own dismal professional records. Morano will have an uphill battle against Condes with an 8-38 record, while Anacaya has an “anemic” record of eight wins and 22 defeats.
Nathanielz reported that GAB chairman Ramon Guanzon has refused to sanction the fights.
“We have not approved and we will not approve [these fights],” Guanzon was quoted as saying.
In a separate Philboxing report, boxing promoter Aljoe Jaro expressed disappointment over GAB’s action.
Jaro said the board should have acted on the matter earlier and not days before the card as this would have allowed them to look for replacement fighters.
“I made an application for this fight card and filed it with the GAB three weeks ago,” Jaro said, “They should have looked at it and told me earlier that they will not sanction the fight.”
Jaro also pointed out that Morano and Ancaya are licensed by the GAB to fight.
“These boxers with bad records also deserve a chance to fight,” Jaro said. “They have a valid license, they passed the medical tests.”