PROFILE: Eduardo “Bro. Eddie” Cruz Villanueva
Research by: Kristine Anne R. Ferriols, abs-cbnNews.com, Halalan Volunteer | 06/10/2009 5:56 PM
Date of Birth: October 06, 1946
Place of Birth: Bocaue, Bulacan
Address: Bunlo, Bocaue, Bulacan
Civil Status: Married to Dr. Adoracion “Dory” Villanueva
Children: Eduardo Jr., Emmanuel Joel, Eleanor, Edelisha
The 2010 presidential race is take two for Bro. Eddie Villanueva. He ranked last in the 2004 elections, which President Gloria Arroyo won. He claimed that President Arroyo, a former ally, cheated by counting votes meant for him as her own. Villanueva, who founded a religious group, Jesus Is Lord Movement, is again counting on the religious block. He is bringing along better promises and complete slate, which he lacked in his rushed 2004 bid. He is lagging behind in pre-election surveys.
On being a politician and an evangelist: “The cheating in 2004 furthered my resolve to run again.”
On his son’s murder case: His son, Eduardo Villanueva was accused with murder and obstruction of justice by the Department of Justice subsequent to an event wherein a soldier was killed in a shootout concerning his son’s supporters and a group of soldiers in May 2007.Eddie Villanueva claims that "My son is a mere victim, because I, his father, had been consistently a principled fiscalizer [sic] in a way of this desperate administration,"
On an alleged estafa case: An arrest warrant, in October 2005, had been released in opposition to Villanueva on allegation of estafa or swindling reported by businessman Benito Araneta. Araneta claimed he had been deceived into an agreement that is already in conformity with another party.
After filing a suit against Villanueva he demanded the return of the P15 million he had a given in advance. The Justice department dismissed the arrest after Villanueva’s side filed a review on the incident. "It appears that Benito Araneta, a close cousin of First Gentleman Mike Arroyo, is being used as a pawn."
- For grade school, Villanueva studied in three public schools in Bulacan, namely Lolomboy Elementary School in Primary, the Bumbang Elementary School, and the Bunlo Elementary School.
- For high school, he studied in two schools: Meycauayan Institute and St. Mary’s Meycauayan.
- Villanueva earned a degree in Commerce major in Economics and a minor in Finance in 1969 from the Philippine College of Commerce (now Polytechnic University of the Philippines). He was an academic scholar and a debater. He was also a student activist during the Marcos reign.
Eddie Villanueva had been the longest-Sitting Member of the Board of Regents in the Polytechnic University of the Philippines (PUP). He contributing his entire honorarium to the university’s Scholarship Fund.
1969-1972, ACADEME: He taught economics and finance in Philippine College of Commerce (renamed to Polytechnic University of the Philippines).
1973-1975, CORPORATE: He worked for Maran Export Industries as Exports Manager.
1976-1977, CORPORATE: He was the General Manager of Agape Trading Company.
1978, ACADEME: He returned to Polytechnic University as a part-time professor.
1978-present, RELIGIOUS GROUP: Villanueva founded the Jesus Is Lord Movement with just over a dozen members. He took special Bible courses in the Philippines and abroad. The church claims to have grown to over 3 million in 2007. Most members are overseas Filipino workers based in over 30 countries.
2001, BROADCASTING: Villanueva founded ZOE Broadcasting Network Inc., which airs on Channel 11. The media arm airs programs with religious content, some of which Villanueva himself hosts.
2004, POLITICS: Villanueva organized the political party, Bangon Pilipinas (Rise, Philippines), as a “movement for national transformation.” The party launched his presidential bid in 2004. He lost with only around 1.9 million votes.
- Founder and President of Jesus Is Lord (JIL) Movement. On-leave since the start of the 2010 campaign period.
- Franchise holder and licensed to operate VHF Channel 11 and UHF Channel 33, President and Chairman of ZOE Broadcasting Network.
- Chancellor of Jesus Is Lord Colleges Foundation (JILCF), Inc.
- Chairman, Bagong Pilipinas, Bagong Pilipino Movement
- National Chairman, Philippines for Jesus Movement (PJM)
- Chairman, International Christian Solidarity on Religious Freedom; Vice-Chairman of the Executive Council, Christ for Asia, formerly Charismatic Fellowship of Asia (CFA).
- Host, Jesus the Healer in ZOE TV 11/ GMA 7 and Diyos At Bayan in ZOE TV 11/ GMA 7
- Columnist for Abante and Abante-Tonite, as well as in some monthly publications in Hong Kong and Taiwan
- Board of Trustees, Christian Solidarity on Religious Freedom
- Vice-Chairman of the Executive Council, Christ for Asia
- Board of Regents, Polytechnic University of the Philippines
Awards, Medals, Citations
- Doctorate Degree on Divinity by Promise Christian University, Los Angeles, California, US in 2008
- “Doctor in Education Management, Honoris Causa” from Polytechnic University of the Philippines in 2003
- “Doctor of Philosophy in Humanities, Honoris Causa” from Bulacan State University in 2003
- “EDSA People Power Freedom Award” for ZOE TV 11 as the only TV Station in 2001
- Founder and Leader, Jesus Is Lord
- Owner and Chairman, Zoe Broadcasting Network
- Owner and President, Jesus Is Lord Colleges Foundation Inc.
- Chairman, Bagong Pilipinas, Bagong Pilipino Movement
–With additional research from Maria Althea Teves, Newsbreak