Timeline: The Truth Commission
MANILA, Philippines - Here is a timeline of the history of the Philippine Truth Commission of 2010, prior to the Supreme Court ruling Tuesday declaring it unconstitutional.
June 29, 2010
- A day before he formally takes his oath of office, Pres. Aquino reveals his plans to create a Truth Commission to probe alleged anomalies under the Arroyo administration
- Pres. Aquino announces the Truth Commission will be headed by retired Chief Justice Hilario Davide Jr.
July 26, 2010
- In his State of the Nation Address, Pres. Aquino announces he will sign his first executive order to formally create the Truth Commission
July 30, 2010
- President Aquino signs Executive Order No. 1 creating the Philippine Truth Commission 2010
July 31, 2010
- The House minority mulls challenging the legality of E. O. # 1 in court
- Militant group Bayan expresses dismay over the Truth Commission's non-inclusion of human rights violations committed during the Arroyo administration
August 7, 2010
- Former Pres. Joseph Estrada assails appointment of Davide as head of Truth Commission and calls for probe on Davide's allegedly anomalous use of judiciary fund
August 12, 2010
- Rep. Edcel Lagman leads three other lawmakers in asking the Supreme Court to nullify E.O. # 1. Lagman, along with Reps. Rodolfo Albano, Jr, Simeon Datumanong and Orlando Fua, Jr are allies of former president turned Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal Arroyo
- The lawmakers argue that E.O. # 1 is unconstitutional and that the Truth Commission duplicates the work of the Office of the Ombudsman and the Justice Department
August 13, 2010
- Malacañang says it is ready to defend the legality of the Truth Commission amid the legal challenge filed before the SC
August 17, 2010
- Ateneo Law School professor Carlos Medina Jr. agrees to join the Truth Commission
- Sen. Jinggoy Estrada delivers a privilege speech questioning the appointment of Davide as head of Truth Commission
August 18, 2010
- Pres. Aquino says he stands by his appointment of Davide despite criticisms hurled by Sen. Estrada
August 24, 2010
- The SC asks Malacañang to answer Lagman et. al's petition questioning the legality of E. O. # 1
September 7, 2010
- The SC holds oral arguments to hear petitions questioning the legality of E. O. # 1
September 9, 2010
- Ateneo Law professor Menardo Guevarra is appointed as the last member of the 5-man Truth Commission.
September 13, 2010
- Members of the Truth Commission take their oath of office in Malacañang.
September 14, 2010
- The SC asks the Truth Commission not to start work yet pending the resolution of petitions against the body.
- The SC also moves oral arguments on E. O. # 1 to September 28
September 28, 2010
- Solicitor General Jose Anselmo Cadiz tells the SC that the creation of the Truth Commission was spurred by the Office of the Ombudsman's failure to prosecute graft and corruption cases under the Arroyo administration
October 15, 2010
- The Truth Commission faces the media for the first time, saying it is ready to accept complaints from the public. (Research by Rachel Hermosura, ANC)