Report: Mayweather offers Pacquiao $40-M guarantee

Posted at 01/26/12 4:15 PM

But Pacquiao turns it down

MANILA Philippines – Floyd Mayweather Jr. has offered Manny Pacquiao a $40-million guarantee for their anticipated super fight, according to an online report.

Pacquiao said the $40-million guarantee was offered by Mayweather during their three-minute phone conversation last week.

“He said he will guarantee me $40 million but I won’t have any share on the pay-per-view and other sources of revenue,” Pacquiao told Tempo's Nick Giongco, according to Boxing Scene.

However, Pacquiao refused the guarantee and asked for a 50-50 split in fight revenues instead.

“How can he leave me out of the pay-per-view when I generate more than him in pay-per-view sales? I am still praying that Mayweather gets enlightened because I believe that I am not being unreasonable,” said Pacquiao.

The share of revenues is one of the sticking points in the ongoing Pacquiao-Mayweather saga.

Pacquiao's most recent fight against Juan Manuel Marquez garnered 1.4 million pay-per-view buys in November 2011, while his bout against Shane Mosley in May 2011 generated 1.3 million.

Meanwhile, Mayweather's fight against Victor Ortiz last September generated at least 1.25 million in pay-per-view sales.

The controversial American boxer contacted Pacquiao last week to negotiate the split and fight date.

The unbeaten boxer said he wanted the fight to take place on May 5.

But Pacquiao wanted the fight to happen in the latter part of May to give way to the construction of a temporary arena that will host their bout.

Mayweather, however, said he is unlikely to grant Pacquiao an equal split of earnings.

View more