Pacquiao pushes fight to Sept, still wants it in PH

Posted at 02/09/13 10:35 PM

MANILA, Philippines – Boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao has agreed to move his next fight to September after having a tough time finding a suitable location for an April fight date.

But the former welterweight champion insisted that he wants his next bout to be done in front of his Filipino fans.

“What I'm trying to do is dito na maganap sa Pilipinas para hindi na kailangang lumipad ng mga kababayan natin para maganap ang fight,” the fighting congressman said in an interview with ABS-CBN’s Anne Santos.

Pacquiao earlier mentioned the Rizal Memorial Stadium as one of the locations being considered.

The Filipino boxing icon has reportedly refused to hold his next fight in the US where almost 40% of his fight earnings go to taxes.

“He says that he doesn't want to fight in the United States because of the high taxes and it's hard to blame him,” said boxing promoter Bob Arum.

Pacquiao earlier pushed for an April fight to prepare himself for a possible rematch against Juan Manuel Marquez.

The Filipino boxer wants to get back at the Mexican counter puncher for knocking him out in their fourth encounter last December.

However, Arum said that a fight of such magnitude shouldn’t be held in the Philippines for financial reasons.

"You can't do a fight like this in the Philippines because, first of all, you would have to do it on a Sunday morning for Saturday night in the United States,” Arum said earlier in RingTV.

Bulk of the boxers’ earnings comes from pay-per-view revenues, which is why the airing time is crucial.

Arum said Macau, which will host Brian Viloria’s title defense against Juan Francisco Estrada, could set a better stage for Pacquiao’s ring return.

"That's why Macau is a good possibility. They had a UFC fight in Macau, and they had like 6,000 people attend the fight.”

View more