Martinez withdraws from Junior World

Posted at 03/08/14 9:27 AM

Michael Christian Martinez. Photo: Agence France-Presse


LOS ANGELES - Michael Christian Martinez has withdrawn from next week's Junior World Championships in Bulgaria.

According to his mother Teresa, Martinez only followed the decision of his coaches and doctors who wanted him to pull out of the tournament.

Meanwhile, for the first time since the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, Martinez went through 6 hours of training and practice last Wednesday.

In an interview, Martinez said that not practicing for a long time can have negative effects on skaters.

“It's getting better, I'm starting to get the jumps a little bit but it's not enough. For figure skating, kailangan talaga only up to 2 days, 1-day rest or 2 days. Maximum is 3 days. But if you exceeded that, it's like 'yung body memory, 'yung jumps mo, you couldn't do it anymore, 'yung spins mo, you will get dizzy easily,” he said.

Making use of the day-off to let his body rest and heal, the history-making Olympian met with his supporters.


He visited Los Angeles-based shoe company, Vlado, a brand popular among hip-hop dancers and celebrities.

He also met with sportswear company Oakley earlier this week as well as other local businesses, many of whom are interested in helping him raise funds.

“It's so heartwarming that everybody now acknowledges my talent. Everybody now is supporting me so I'm very thankful for that. I feel very happy, it feels like...feeling ko iiyak ako nang nakita ko ang dami ng suporta sa akin.”

Martinez is expected to also meet with his Zumba family and the local officials of Carson who will honor the Olympian.


View more