Salud wants 'clarification' from Balkman
MANILA, Philippines – Petron Blaze import Renaldo Balkman needs to give a “convincing clarification” for his behavior after the former New York Knick and Denver Nugget choked a teammate after a PBA game last week, Commissioner Chito Salud said.
Balkman played the worst game of his short PBA career last week, scoring only six points as the Blaze Boosters lost, 73-83, to the Alaska Aces.
Following the loss, Balkman confronted the referees over an alleged non-call and wound up shoving Petron’s assistant coaches and teammate Ronald Tubid before eventually choking team captain Arwind Santos.
“From what I’ve seen, he would need to have a persuasive explanation to justify his behavior before our fans and the sporting public,” Salud told the league website.
“As his host, our country deserves a convincing clarification from Mr. Balkman.”
Salud has summoned Balkman to appear at the Commissioner’s Office Monday.
Balkman has publicly apologized to Santos, the Petron organization and the fans for his actions, saying “it was brought about by my frustration and passion” for the game.
But Balkman said he knows there are no excuses for what he did.
“It brings me great pain to know I let so many people down and I vow not to let this unfortunate occurrence happen again,” Balkman said.
Petron coach Olsen Racela said they will report the issue to Petron management, but has publicly said he is willing to give Balkman another chance.
Racela revealed that Balkman apologized to Santos and his family, as well as to his other teammates.