Arum insists Donaire under Top Rank

Posted at 03/17/11 2:40 PM

Files complaint vs Golden Boy

MANILA, Philippines – Boxing promoter Bob Arum has insisted that world bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire Jr. is still under contract with Top Rank Inc. even after the “Filipino Flash” signed up with rival promotional firm, Golden Boy Promotions (GBP).

Arum said that Donaire’s contract with Top Rank is valid until 2013, which bars the Filipino boxer from signing up with other promotional outfits.

“The contract with Top Rank is still valid... If you have a contract with one promoter, you can't sign with another promoter,” he said.

Arum said Top Rank has already filed a complaint with an arbiter in charge of handling their dispute with GBP.

“Today, we filed a complaint against Golden Boy with the arbitrator who has jurisdiction on the dispute between Golden Boy and Top Rank. The arbitrator will schedule the proceedings as quickly as possible so we can get a determination,” he said.

Arum expressed confidence that they will get a favorable ruling.

“Now, we will determine judicially, and we're confident with the results,” said the veteran promoter.

Living up to the agreement

Arum also commented on allegations that Top Rank failed to fulfill its obligations with Donaire.

“We have lived up to our contract, we have promoted his fights. We'll continue to promote his fight to a date until 2013. It's just simple as that,” he said.

Donaire’s wife Rachel earlier said his husband is unhappy with the way Top Rank set up his fights.

“It (Top Rank) says three fights a year but look at (boxing website) BoxRec and see his fights for the last three years,” she told Philstar.com.

But Arum stressed their work is mainly to promote Donaire’s fights.

“A promoter is not a manager, we're not his manager… he has a manager, Cameron Dunkin,” he said.

US$1 million offer

Arum belied that Top Rank's offer of a bigger fight purse for Donaire came too late.

He said their existing agreement already made room for bigger fight earnings.

“It's not late. He has a contract with us that provides title defenses. He gets a minimum of $250,000 and he is proposed $500,000 for his next fight in May,” said Arum.

“Then I said that I hope he will have in the next 6 months some good fights where he could make as much as a million (US) dollars,” he added.

Arum earlier said that Donaire's contract with Top Rank will expire this June 26.

He added that the contract contains a “12-month extension" clause at Top Rank’s sole discretion.

He also said that Donaire’s failure to get 3 fights in the first year of their contract was not their fault.

"In fact, in the first year, Donaire was suspended twice physically so that twice tolled the contract. Adding in the time we lost it pushes the contract to 2013," said Arum.

Donaire signs with De La Hoya's GBP

Donaire, who stopped Fernando Montiel last month to take two world bantamweight titles, signed a deal with Oscar de la Hoya's GBP.

The Los Angeles firm announced Wednesday its multi-year promotional contract with the 28-year-old "Filipino Flash," a former world flyweight and super flyweight champion who collected the World Boxing Council (WBC) and World Boxing Organization (WBO) bantamweight titles last month.

Donaire, 26-1 with 18 knockouts and no losses in 10 years, stopped Mexico's Montiel in the second round last month and will look to defend his crowns this year, reportedly as soon as May 28 in Atlantic City against an undecided opponent.

"I'm honored to be joining so many great fighters and champions on the Golden Boy Promotions team," Donaire said. "I'm going to fight my heart out every time I'm in the ring and will give fans the fights they want to see."

Rival champions of Donaire include Panama's Anselmo Moreno and Ghana's Joseph Agbeko, who defends his International Boxing Federation (IBF) crown next month against Mexico's Abner Mares.

"Nonito Donaire is one of the top boxers in the world today," De la Hoya said. "We're going to make sure he gets the chance to defend his world titles and stays as active as possible." – With a report from Agence France-Presse

View more