Pacquiao shares winnings with flood victims
Pacman spends Father's Day with flood victims
MANILA, Philippines – Filipino boxer and Sarangani congressman Manny Pacquiao will donate part of his winnings from his recent prize fight to Saranggani residents who were affected by floods last week.
While Pacquiao lost his World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight title to unbeaten American Timothy Bradley Jr. last June 9, he still stands to make at least $26 million from the fight.
The “Pacman” was with his family in the United States, but cut short his vacation after floods hit Sarangani, especially the towns of Glan and Maasim. He spent Sunday, Father's Day, giving aid to residents in 4 barangays devastated by the floods.
“Galing ako sa airport kahapon at dumiretso ako sa Sarangani. Naghatid ako ng bigas, sardinas at noodles, at konting financial support,” he told radio DZMM.
"Kahit hindi naging maganda ang resulta sa fight, ito balato ko sa inyo," he added.
Pacquiao confirmed that he will donate at least P2 million to the typhoon victims.
“Sabi ko sa mga nabahaan, ‘yung mga nakatira sa tabing ilog, 'wag kayong mag-alala. ‘Yung pera na kinita ko ngayon, ibibili ko ng lupa para ibigay ko sa inyo,” Pacquiao said.
“I-divide n’yo sa bawat pamilya, para hindi na kayo babalik doon at maulit-ulit pa yung mga pangyayari,” he added.
Pacquiao confirmed that the money used to buy the relief goods came from his own pocket.
“Kung hihintayin ‘yung sa gobyerno, matatagalan pa tayo dahil ipa-process pa,” he explained.
Pacquiao will go back to the US to continue his vacation with his family once he finishes his work in Sarangani.
“Sabi ko nga, iniwanan ko na ‘yung pamilya ko sa America dahil ‘yung problema sa Sarangani, hindi ko pwedeng baliwalain. Bilang ama, may malaking tungkulin ako na gagampanan sa Sarangani,” he said.
He added: "Sabi ko sa kanila, 'Nandito ako dahil importante din kayo sa akin.'"