LeBron James wins NBA finals MVP
* Wins first NBA crown in third trip to finals
* Registers triple double as Heat sweep last four games
MIAMI (UPDATE) - Miami Heat forward LeBron James realised his dream by leading his team to the National Basketball Association championship on Thursday and the man nicknamed 'King James' completed his coronation with the series most valuable player (MVP) award.
|Miami Heat's LeBron James (L) hugs teammate Dwyane Wade near the end of Game 5 of the NBA basketball finals against the Oklahoma City Thunder in Miami, Florida, June 21, 2012. REUTERS/Mike Segar|
James, who also picked up the regular season MVP honour for the third time in his career, led the Heat to a 4-1 win over the Oklahoma City Thunder in the best-of-seven championship series that was capped off by a 121-106 victory.
The dominant player throughout the series, James scored 26 points, pulled down 11 rebounds and doled out a game-high 13 assists in a brilliant all-round effort in the finale.
"This means everything," the 27-year-old James said after being presented with the MVP trophy by Celtics great Bill Russell.
"It's a dream come true."
James, who averaged 28.6 points, 10.2 rebounds and 7.4 assists in the series, won his first NBA ring on his third trip to the finals.
His Cleveland Cavaliers were swept in four games in 2007 by the San Antonio Spurs, and the Heat lost to the Dallas Mavericks in six games last season.
"Losing the finals last year put me back in place, it humbled me a lot," said James.
"Today is the happiest day of my life."
Here's his profile:
* Born December 30, 1984 in Akron, Ohio (age 27)
* Height: six feet eight inches (2.03 metres), 250 lbs (113 kilograms)
* Drafted first overall by Cleveland Cavaliers in 2003
* Named NBA rookie of the year in 2004
* Eight-time NBA All-Star (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012)
* NBA scoring champion in 2008, making him the first Cavalier to lead the league in scoring
* Won Olympic gold medal with United States at 2008 Beijing Olympics and bronze medal at 2004 Athens Olympics
* Three-time NBA Most Valuable Player (2009, 2010, 2012)
* James is one of just eight players to have won the MVP award at least three times. The others are: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Michael Jordan, Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and Moses Malone.
* Won his first NBA Championship with Miami in 2012 after previously losing in the final with Cleveland (2007) and Miami (2011)