Pacquiao-Floyd fight not possible this year: Arum
MANILA, Philippines - Top Rank chief executive Bob Arum said a mega-fight between pound-for-pound kings Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. is not possible this year as the unbeaten American has only recently been released from jail.
"I just hope we will be able to get the Mayweather fight done. I don't think we can do it in November with Mayweather," Arum said in an interview with Dan Rafael of ESPN.
Arum is headed to the Philippines this week to hold discussions with Pacquiao regarding his next fight, scheduled for November 10.
But while most fight fans want to see the Filipino champion fight Mayweather, Arum said it is not possible because Mayweather was "just being released from jail and so forth."
Mayweather was released from the Clark County Detention Center last August 3 after serving over two months for domestic violence.
"I have had no signal from anybody on his side that he would be back so quick for a fight on November 10," Arum said.
"I would think if we can make a deal, it would be in the spring, in April, after March Madness," he added.
Arum said Pacquiao's likely opponents will be welterweight champion Timothy Bradley, Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez and Puerto Rican boxer Miguel Cotto.
Last June, Pacquiao lost a highly controversial decision to Bradley, in a bout that was investigated by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, the Nevada State Attorney General's Office and the World Boxing Organization.
In November of last year, the Filipino champion defeated Marquez in their trilogy bout via a contested majority decision.
Pacquiao defeated Cotto via a 12th round technical knockout when they fought in 2009.
Arum emphasized that the final decision on the fight will be made by Pacquiao.
"I gotta tell Manny what I can afford for each fight and we need to talk about each fight, but he makes his own decision," he said.