Zambales to hold 4x4 offroad challenge

Posted at 08/09/2012 12:03 AM

MANILA, Philippines -- All roads lead to the tricky lahar fields in an all-weather sand-and-mud course in Barangay Sindo in San Narciso, Zambales, for the Second Gov. Jun Ebdane 4x4 Offroad Challenge on August 18 and 19.

Gov. Hermogenes Ebdane said the provincial government of Zambales is staging a follow-up event after the success of last year’s inaugurals.

“There will be new challenges for this event, not only for the professional truck racers, but for the amateurs as well, and for bikers, too,” Ebdane said. “And more racers have already registered for this year's event, in addition to those who came to compete last year.”

Eleven off-roaders organizations have so far signed up, with registration closing before flag off on August 18, according to Eric Matibag, head of the Zambales Sports and Youth Development Office (ZSYDO).

A total of 33 drivers have taken on the challenge, including last year's winners from the Angeles 4-Wheel Drive Club, Inc.

Matibag said that last year, there were 23 racers who took to the tracks at the lahar field in Barangay Carael, Botolan.

The ZSYDO also said that new groups, including the Ilocos Sur 4x4 Offroaders and the Nueva Ecija Offroaders, will compete this year in two difficult tracks designed by members of the National Association of Filipino Off-Roaders.

Last year, Edison “Ton-ton” Dungca of Angeles City, bagged the crown with an overall time of five minutes and 51:40 seconds.

Ebdane also said that an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) race could also be held, depending on the response of ATV-riders' groups.

Some P200,000 in cash prizes await the winners. The governor said that the 4x4 Offroad Challenge could become an annual event and a staple attraction for Zambales's rainy days sports tourism campaign.