Sabbatical could be good for Pacquiao: analyst
'Better to wait for Floyd in 2013'
MANILA, Philippines – A temporary sabbatical from boxing could help Manny Pacquiao get the long-awaited bout against Floyd Mayweather Jr.
|Manny Pacquiao (left) could take a one-fight sabbatical, said boxing analyst Michael Marley. Photo by Reuters|
Since there is no attractive option for Pacquiao, boxing analyst Michael Marley said it would be best for the Filipino champion to stay away from boxing until he gets Mayweather in 2013.
“Taking a one fight, late career ‘sabbatical’ when he has no alluring opponent other than unavailable Floyd Mayweather Jr., is, as I've delineated previously, a smooth move by and for Manny,” Marley said on Examiner.com.
According to boxing promoter Bob Arum, the only available fight for Pacquiao on November 10 are possible rematch bouts against Timothy Bradley, Juan Manuel Marquez and Miguel Cotto.
But Marley said fans aren’t clamoring for Pacquiao to face any of those candidates.
“There is no mania among fight fans to see Pacquiao engage Bradley, Cotto or Marquez. Those are $25 million pay-nights where Mayweather Moolah can double, perhaps even triple that income for one 12-rounder,” said Marley.
Thus, it would be ideal for Pacquiao to wait for Mayweather in May next year, according to Marley.
‘Little more hope’ for Pac-May
Another boxing analyst said he sees a glimmer of hope about the mega-fight being done.
Al Bernstein, analyst for Showtime Championship Boxing, said in another Examiner report that there are speculations that talks are still ongoing between the camps of Pacquiao and Mayweather.
"I keep seeing these little rumors that there are some inklings of talks between him and Pacquiao." said Bernstein.
"I don't know if that's true, I have no idea, but that's fascinating. I think any change in the dynamic, even though it's a small one, maybe that's a good sign."
Arum waits for Pacman’s answer
Arum is currently in Manila to hold discussions with Pacquiao about the November bout.
The boxing promoter said he’s anxious to hear the Filipino champion’s decision.
“I hope to have an answer and I go back to the States,” Arum told ABS-CBN’s Dyan Castillejo the other day.
He said he needs to begin wheeling and dealing as he has already reserved the November 10 date for Pacquiao.
“We’ve already reserved the MGM [Grand Arena], reserved the pay-per-view networks, we're ready to go,” said Arum.
He said Pacquiao would have to decide soon to give way for the promotional work.
“November seems a long way off but it's August and that means that we're gonna have to do a press tour in the US the first week of September.”