Floyd won't give Pacquiao another chance
MANILA, Philippines – Unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. has seemingly slammed the door on a potential mega-fight against Filipino fighter Manny Pacquiao, telling a Michigan news outlet that he does not want to give the “Pacman” another chance.
Mayweather, who is training for a September 14 fight against Mexico’s Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, told MLive over the weekend that the Pacquiao fight has run its course.
“(Pacquiao) had a chance to make the fight in the past, and basically, that’s the best place I’d like to leave it,” said Mayweather.
Mayweather has previously said he will be willing to fight Pacquiao, but only if the Filipino signed with his company, Mayweather Promotions.
But Mayweather told MLive that even that will not persuade him to give the Pacman a shot.
“That’s probably how I was feeling at that particular time. I’m only human. Floyd Mayweather does contradict himself. I’m only human, I’m not perfect,” he said.
“How are things today? He’s not going to get a chance to fight me. I was feeling that way weeks ago. Now, I’m feeling like I wouldn’t even give him a chance,” he added. “He had a chance, he blew it, so that’s what it is.”
Boxing fans clamored for a mega-fight between Pacquiao and Mayweather for years, as the two boxers climbed to the top of the sport’s pound-for-pound rankings. But Pacquiao’s recent dip in form has taken off a lot of the bout’s luster.
Although the two sides engaged in repeated negotiations, they disagreed on several key issues, including blood and urine testing, as well as the revenue split.
Pacquiao, who has lost two consecutive bouts, will try to bounce back in November when he fights Brandon Rios in Macau.