Jones gearing up for move to heavyweight
MANILA, Philippines – Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight champion Jon “Bones” Jones admits it will not be long before he leaves the 205-pound division and moves up to heavyweight.
Jones, who is the youngest champion in UFC history, told MMA Weekly that his move to heavyweight will come sooner rather than later.
“Coming up to heavyweight is something I’d like to do maybe in the next two or three years,” he said. “2013 or 2014, it would be cool.”
Jones established himself as the top light heavyweight in the sport after trouncing Mauricio “Shogun” Rua last year to take the UFC title. He has since defended his belt three times, each time beating former UFC champions.
He faces another challenge on September 1 at UFC 151 when he takes on veteran Dan “Hendo” Henderson.
“Dan Henderson is my main priority and focus, but I have a lot of years left in fighting,” Jones said.
The 25-year-old Jones is big for a light heavyweight and even if he moves up to heavyweight, he will still have a reach advantage over most of his opponents.
The UFC’s current heavyweight champion, Junior Dos Santos of Brazil, has said that he is willing to face Jones if the opportunity presents itself.
“I really like him (Jones), but if he comes up to the heavyweight division, and he gets the chance to fight for the title, we’re gonna fight. I will give my best to beat him,” Dos Santos said in an ESPN interview last June.