White: Machida won't get next shot at UFC title

Posted at 09/06/2012 3:03 PM | Updated as of 09/06/2012 3:03 PM

MANILA, Philippines – Former champion Lyoto Machida got himself burned after turning down the offer to fight reigning Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight king Jon Jones.

Machida was initially offered to take on Jones as a replacement for the injured Henderson in UFC 151.

However, the Japanese-Brazilian refused to fight on four-week’s notice.

"This is the guy that had been terrorizing me for a title shot, and then he said four weeks wasn't enough," UFC president Dana White said in ESPN

"Lyoto has been crying for this title shot for a long time and you know how this stuff goes. When you turn down the opportunity to fight, things start going in another path,” he added.

The spot was later given to another Brazilian, former UFC champion Vitor Belfort.

Belfort will fight Jones in UFC 152 on September 22 in Ontario, Canada.

"Machida is not next in line," White said. "He'll fight another fight."