Manalo, 'Bata' in World 9-ball KO stage
MANILA, Philippines – Filipino cue masters led by Efren "Bata" Reyes and Marlon "Marvelous” Manalo are ready to face their respective opponents at the knock-out stage of the World 9-Ball Championship in Doha, Qatar on Wednesday.
Reyes defeated Korea’s Jeong Young Hwa, 9-4, last Tuesday to advance Final 64, while the comebacking Manalo nipped Poland’s Mateusz Sniegocki, 9-4.
“They always think I will win and if I don’t win it’s no good to them,” Reyes told World Pool-Billiard Association (WPA) officer Ted Lerner. “[There’s] too much pressure out there. Maybe if I can win a few matches I’m gonna play good without pressure but now, too much.”
Reyes will slug it out Nick van den Berg of the Netherlands in the single elimination or knock-out format.
“This is my first tournament in three years and I’m not 100% confident… But as long as you have the heart you can win here,” said Manalo, village chief of Barangay Malamig in Mandaluyong.
Manalo's assignment is Omar Al Shaheen of Kuwait.
Other Final 64 matches pit:
• Antonio Gabica vs Nguyen Anh Tuan of Vietnam
• Marlon Villamor vs Karl Boyes of Great Britain
• Raymund Faraon vs Manuel Gama of Portugal
• Lee Vann Corteza vs Daryl Peach of Great Britain
• Jeffrey de Luna vs Ruslan Chinakhov of Russia
• Dennis Orcollo vs John Morra of Canada
• Ramil Gallego vs Enrique Rojas of Chile
• Carlo Biado vs Ralf Souquet of Germany
• Israel "Amay" Rota versus fellow Filipino Mark Antony
Francisco "Django' Bustamante failed to reach Final 64 after losing to Thorsten Hohmann of Germany, 6-9. – Marlon Bernardino