Donaire says Dec. 15 fight date 'not concrete'

Posted at 10/21/12 6:26 PM

MANILA, Philippines – World super bantamweight champion Nonito "The Filipino Flash" Donaire Jr.'s December 15 fight date is "“not concrete," according to the fighter himself.

Donaire was supposed to face Mexican brawler Jorge Arce on December 15 in Arce's hometown, but "The Filipino Flash" said the bout has not yet been finalized.

"Wanted to let my fans know that December 15 is not concrete," Donaire said on his Facebook and Twitter accounts. "I haven't heard from my manager, and until he says then nothing is a go." 

"Until then I am going to continue my vacation in the Philippines. Trust me you’ll hear confirmation from me first," he added.

ABS-CBN vice president for sports Peter Musngi announced that Donaire will be facing Arce during a press conference after the boxer's arrival in the Philippines.

"From our good friend Bob Arum on the phone, he said that the next fight of Nonito will be on December 15 in Mexico against Jorge Arce," Musngi said.

Donaire has said he is looking forward to fighting the Mexican.

"Excited na excited ako to face the next best fighter. Si Arce, talagang matapang 'yun, reading-ready na ako dun," he said.

But fight negotiations between the Arce and Donaire camps have fallen apart before: They were supposed to face each other earlier this year before Arce priced himself out of the fight.

Donaire instead wound up fighting Japanese boxer Toshiaki Nishioka, whom he defeated via a ninth round technical knockout last October 13 in California. -- With a report from Dennis Gasgonia, ABS-CBNnews.com

View more