Rigondeaux tired of Donaire's 'excuses'
MANILA, Philippines – World Boxing Association (WBA) super bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux is getting frustrated with what he perceives as Nonito Donaire’s “excuses” for not fighting him.
Donaire and Rigondeaux are considered the two top boxers in the super bantamweight division and are both promoted by Top Rank. But a fight between the two have so far failed to materialize.
For Rigondeaux, the blame lies on Donaire.
“I just want to fight the best, whoever it is. I want to fight those who want to fight me,” he said in an interview with Tha Boxing Voice.
“I’m just tired of the excuses from Donaire. He wants the belt at 122, I have one. He wants to fight someone over 30 (years old); well I am over 30, so let’s fight,” he said.
Rigondeaux is unimpressed with Donaire’s performances at the super bantamweight division, including the Filipino’s ninth-round technical knockout victory over Toshiaki Nishioka last October 13.
“I could have beat both of them (Donaire and Nishioka) on the same night,” Rigondeaux said. “He (Nishioka) just came here for a payday. What’s there to be impressed about?”
“(Donaire) knocked out a guy coming off a year long lay-off, in his 30s, whose only big win was against an old Rafael Marquez,” he added. “What’s there to be impressed with Donaire’s run at 122-pounds?”
“He fought a smaller Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. and Jeffrey Mathebula, and both guys he couldn’t stop.”
Rigondeaux insisted that Donaire was just coming up with reasons to avoid fighting him.
“All he has are excuses for not fighting me,” he said. “He said it on national television, when Max Kellerman asked him about fighting me.”
“I’m not exciting and I have more to do? I’ve knocked out three of my last four opponents. In my sixth fight, I fought a guy with over 40 fights in Ricardo Cordoba. I beat a title holder at 122 in my eighth fight while he won a vacant title,” Rigondeaux added.
The Cuban boxer said Donaire’s excuses only showed that he was afraid.
“You could see on television, he was scared, and the whole world saw it. He says he wants all the belts, but he doesn’t want to fight me?” Rigondeaux said.
Rigondeaux had recently extended his contract with Top Rank in the hopes of finally landing a fight against “The Filipino Flash.”
Donaire has repeatedly said that he is willing to fight all challengers, including Rigondeaux. In a press conference last Saturday, he even said that a fight with Rigondeaux may be held in Manila.
The Filipino fighter has heard Rigondeaux’s repeated challenges, as well as the Cuban’s assertions that he is a coward. But so far, Donaire has refused to take the bait.
“That’s his style, kasi ako ang pinakamalaking (fight) niya in terms of finances,” Donaire said. “Kung ako makakalaban niya, malaki ang makukuha niya, so hahamunin niya ako just like what (Timothy) Bradley was doing to (Manny) Pacquiao.”
Donaire will reportedly fight Mexican brawler Jorge Arce on December 15, though a fight with Rigondeaux may happen in 2013. – With a report from Dennis Gasgonia, ABS-CBNnews.com