Malignaggi open to Hatton rematch

Posted at 10/23/2012 8:35 PM

MANILA, Philippines – World welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi is willing to face comebacking fighter Ricky Hatton in a rematch, but will first watch how “The Hitman” fares in his return bout.

Hatton retired last year but decided to make a comeback and will now fight Vyacheslav Senchenko on November 24 at the Manchester Arena in Manchester.

Malignaggi, who holds the World Boxing Association welterweight title, lost to Hatton when they fought in November 2008, but the American admitted that he is interested in a rematch.

“I want to see how Ricky looks against Senchenko, and then we can talk about it,” Malignaggi told ESPN UK.

Malignaggi had beaten Senchenko last April for the WBA title.

“It would be an honor to box Ricky again,” Malignaggi said.

Hatton has not fought since May 2009, when he was knocked out in brutal fashion by Filipino fight king Manny Pacquiao.