Arce expects Donaire fight to be 'bloody'

Posted at 11/13/12 7:36 PM

MANILA, Philippines – Mexican brawler Jorge Arce predicts a “bloody, hard” fight when he takes on world super bantamweight champion Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire on December 15 at the Toyota Center in Texas.

Arce is a massive underdog against Donaire, who is widely considered as one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world.

But the Mexican brawler, known for his all-action style, has repeatedly said that he has no problems being tagged as the underdog and believes he is capable of pulling off a monumental upset.

“This fight, we’ve been trying to get it for the past four years, and I am sure that the wait will be worth it,” Arce told Boxing Scene. “It is going to be bloody, it is going to be hard, it is going to be complicated.”

While the 33-year-old Arce has acknowledged that he is nearing the end of his career, he vows to come in the best shape of his life against Donaire.

“I will get to this fight at 200% in every sense,” he said. “Nonito will not be able my pace. I will regard this fight as the most important of my career.”

“I’ve had other challenges, and I passed them when nobody believed in me. Against Nonito, you will see the best ‘Travieso’ that you have ever seen before, more strong and explosive,” Arce added.

Arce has not lost since September 2009, when he was outpointed by Simphiwe Nongqayi for a super flyweight title.

Since then, he has won titles at super bantamweight and bantamweight. His last fight, against Jesus Rojas, ended in a no-contest after the Mexican absorbed an accidental foul.

Donaire, meanwhile, has won 29 straight fights. His last loss came in March 2001, in what was his second professional bout.

View more