NAIA operations back to normal

Posted at 10/24/13 01:12 PM
Watch more shows on iWantv or TFC.tv

Normal operations resumed at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport this morning, after more than a hundred flights were cancelled from Tuesday to Thursday.

The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) said Japanese technicians completed maintenance work on NAIA's radar system at around 6 a.m., Thursday.

Mornings@ANC, October 24, 2013

NAIA operations back to normal

Posted at 09/14/09 11:11 AM
Watch more shows on iWantv or TFC.tv

MANILA – Operations at the three terminals of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) are back to normal after the airport's control tower was paralyzed Sunday afternoon due to a problem in the power supply of the radar system.

Airport authorities were able to solve the problem at 4:30 a.m. Monday.

A total of 20 local and international flights were asked to return to the airport Sunday because of communication problems that resulted from the breakdown of the radar system.  

Flights scheduled to leave from the airport were also suspended while international flights set to land at the NAIA were asked to touch down in other airports.

Passengers who have flights on Monday have been advised to inquire about their flight schedules.

Tirso Serrano, Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) assistant general manager for airport development and corporate affairs, told ABS-CBN News that they are working to ensure the problem does not happen again.

“Itong radar problem ay talaga naman pong ginagawaan ng paraan, noon pa ho iyan. Ang dating ATO JC ay gumagawa ng remedial measures, capacity-building na tinatawag para magkaroon ng 24/7 at walang mintis sa pag-su-supply,” he said.

“Ngunit nangyayari ho talaga ang ganitong mga pagkakataon at sinisikap namin na hindi na mangyayari ito,” he added. – Report from ANC

NAIA operations back to normal

Posted at 07/04/10 01:06 PM
Watch more shows on iWantv or TFC.tv

MANILA, Philippines – Operations at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) returned to normal Saturday night after thick smog disrupted flights at the airport.

The NAIA media affairs office declared that all operations were back to normal at 11 p.m. Saturday as the haze lifted. Some of the diverted planes were also asked to fly back to Manila airport, Edwin Llubrera of the airport media relations office told AFP.

A total of 10 international flights were cancelled, 12 were diverted and 18 were delayed due to poor visibility at the NAIA. Twenty-six domestic flights were also cancelled, 37 were diverted and 26 were delayed.

Aviation authorities blamed pollution for the poor visibility at the airport.

Joselito Casaul, senior technical assistant at the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP), explained that poor visibility was due to a “sink haze” brought about by pollution.

This was worsened by humidity or the absence of wind that could have helped dissipate the haze, he added.

“Let me correct that term ‘some haze.’ It was sink haze. This kind of phenomenon does not appear everyday... It was just today (Saturday) because on the phenomena of haze, we cannot control and it becomes haze,” he told ANC’s “Prime News” on Saturday.

“Actually it started even before sunrise and it went on until about just noontime,” he said, noting that there is usually haze in Manila.

“Most of the time that is due to pollution. And it was exceptionally thick today (Saturday) because it was heeded by a no-wind condition, because this usually dissipates once wind comes in,” he stated.

Casaul added that flights that were diverted were those whose pilots or aircrafts have not yet been certified for the airport's new navigation equipment, the runway navigation- global positioning system.

Such equipment helps pilots land in poor visibility conditions. He cited that during the haze, 20 flights that had been certified were able to land safely.

‘NAIA glitch could happen again’

From around 7:30 a.m. until about 12 p.m. Saturday, 34 aircraft landed at the Diosdado Macapagal International Airport (DMIA) in Pampanga after they were not able to land at the NAIA due to poor visibility.

As the weather improved, diverted flights started returning to Manila shortly before noon.

The Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA), however, feared that Saturday's incident could happen again unless the airport's equipment would be replaced.

Despite the bad weather, and even when it is dark, planes can still land if the airport has enough equipment to guide them.

The alleged problem is that the airport's very high frequency omnidirectional radio range (VOR) and instrumental landing system (ILS) are still not working. They are currently being repaired.

“Makakatulong ang VOR, mas may tsansa na makalapag pa rin ang mga eroplano,” said MIAA General Manager Melvin Matibag. “Hindi naman expected ‘yan. Paumanhin doon sa publiko kung nagkaroon ng delay na ganyan, hindi natin gusto ‘yan.”

The airport’s management also explained that it would be dangerous for planes to land if the runway is not visible 5 kilometers from the ground. This is why pilots, with a go-signal from the CAAP, opted to land in another airport.

Matibag added: “Iniisip naming safety ng passengers… kung hindi 100% safe we don't take the risk.”

Dismayed passengers

Hundreds of passengers were dismayed over Saturday’s incident. Among them was Queenie, a balikbayan.

She was so happy to return home after working in Singapore, but the incident ruined her excitement.

Stranded passenger Ann Sta. Barbara added: “Thirty minutes kaming paikot-ikot sa air sa NAIA. Doon lang sinabi na nagkaroon pala ng problema. Sana man lang nagkaroon ng sasakyan na dadalhin kami sa NAIA.”

Businessman Steve Ward also had sour words over the delay, which  forced him to cancel his business transactions in Manila.

“They are saying that they have to prevent the plane from landing. It doesn’t make any sense,” complained Ward. “I don't agree that poor visibility is the reason... Now I have to make phone calls for the person in Manila that I can't make it.”

Another stranded passenger was Shirley dela Peña’s brother-in-law from Saudi Arabia. Dela Peña came all the way from Pangasinan and has been at the airport since 3 a.m.

“Pagod at nagugutom na kami. Akala namin makakabalik kami kaagad,” she said.

Most of the flights that have been diverted to DMIA were international flights. These included Philippine Airlines, Royal Brunei Airlines, Jetstar Airways, Air Philippines, Zest Air, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, SEAIR, Cebu Pacific, China Airlines and Air Micronesia.

President Aquino, meanwhile, will meet with Transportation Secretary Jose de Jesus on Monday to discuss the incident.

“Two years ago pa ang problema sa equipment pero it hasn’t been resolved..... That's a problem that could have been attended to, but was not attended to. Plus, ‘yong lack of good governance,” he said. – With reports from ANC, Monica Magpantay of ANC, Jeff Canoy and Ryan Chua of ABS-CBN News, and Agence France-Presse

NAIA operations back to normal

Posted at 07/04/10 10:43 PM
Watch more shows on iWantv or TFC.tv