PNP probes gun violence incidents
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine National Police is conducting separate investigations on two incidents of gun violence in Caloocan and Kawit, Cavite.
Chief Superintendent Generoso Cerbo, PNP spokesman, said police are investigating the shooting rampage of a certain Ronald Bae in Kawit, Cavite, killing at least 9 people on Friday.
He said the investigation will look into the cause of the shooting, if Bae was under the influence of alcohol and drugs, and how he was able to get a gun.
He said authorities will also find out if Bae was indeed linked to another incident of gun violence in the area last year.
Meanwhile, police are also continuing its investigation on the stray bullet death of seven-year-old Stephanie Nicole Ella in Caloocan on New Year's eve.
Cerbo said 4 people who allegedly fired their guns in Caloocan during the incident are not completely off the hook despite initial investigation that showed their guns did not match the slug that killed Ella.
He said the 4 remain free since police have nothing concrete against them. "They are not off the hook as long as the investigation is ongoing," he said.
The spokesman said the Ella case presents a challenge "because a stray bullet could come from anywhere." However, he said he hopes science and the help of the community will help capture the culprit in the shooting.
ANC TOP STORY, January 4, 2013