MANILA, Philippines - The shooter in the killing of at least 8 people in Kawit, Cavite was also tagged in another murder last year but was not criminally charged, Kawit Mayor Reynaldo Aguinaldo said Friday.
Speaking to ANC's Top Story, Aguinaldo said shooter Ronald Bae had moved away from his house in Barangay Tabon 1 last year after he was linked to another shooting incident in the area.
"Yang tao na yan matagal ng nawala sa kanyang bahay dahil noon nga nagkaroon din ng patayan kaya lumayo yan. Siya lang mag-isa bumalik at nag-iinom ng nag-iinom. Siya ang napagbintangan. Last year lang. Wala na ring nagdemanda kaya ang ginagawa na lang gantihan," he said.
The mayor said neighbors had learned to stay away from Bae because of his reputation for violence.
Before the killings, neighbors said Bae had been drinking all night with a certain John Paul, said to be the caretaker of the house.
Aguinaldo hinted Bae might have been taking drugs.
"Ang sabi ng mga kapitbahay e magdamag na silang nago-iinom at hindi lang siguro nag-iiom dahil may nahuli pa sa bahay. Parang nasiraan ng bait, yun ang sinasabi nila," he said.
At least 8 people were killed in Bae's rampage including the shooter's goddaughter.
The mayor said authorities are now on the lookout for John Paul, who allegedly helped Bae reload his gun. He said the suspect might be hiding with friends.
ANC TOP STORY, January 4, 2013